Please read below on the travel documentation required.  If you have any questions feel free to email or call us so can assist you.

(via as of 3/26/2015)


U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport.  Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin and end in the same or a different U.S. port, travelling with a passport may help to expedite your CBP clearance upon return to the U.S.  Additionally, passports are required in the event you need to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the WHTI compliant documents, listed below.  Additionally, the same document requirements apply when taking a cruise that begins and ends in a different U.S. port.

• Valid U.S. Passport

• Passport Card

• Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

• Original Certificate of Naturalization

• Enhanced Tribal Card

• A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – only acceptable at land and sea ports of entry.  It cannot be used for air travel outside the U.S.  The word ‘Enhanced’ must appear on the driver’s license. The following five states currently issue an EDL:     Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

Copies of U.S. passports and naturalization papers, hospital and baptismal certificates are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship that is accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo identification with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact VisaCentral at or by phone: 1-866-788-1100.  Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

Photo Identification

In addition to proof of citizenship, a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License

• Driver’s Permit

• School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

• Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Sailings from Hawaii and Transpacific Cruises

U.S. citizens must have a valid passport.

U.S. Alien Residents and Non-U.S. Citizens

U.S. Alien Residents require a valid Alien Resident Card and, in some cases, a passport (depending on itinerary) to travel on all Carnival cruises.  Guest must check with their consulate, travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine if their nationality requires they also bring a passport along with their Alien Resident Card.

Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable, to travel on all Carnival cruises.  Guests are advised to check with their consulate, travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents.

Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier – e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

All Guests Traveling to Canada

U.S. Citizens require a valid passport or WHTI compliant documents.

Certain foreign nationalities will require a visa for sailings calling on Canada, in additional to other ports of call.  This visa must be obtained prior to your cruise and will be checked at embarkation, to determine if you require a Canadian visa please visit All guests must check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents.

All Guest Traveling to Mexico

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.


Valid passports are required for air travel to any port outside the U.S. This will impact all guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises; and our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports. This will also enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. Please note that in some cases, depending on itineraries, you may not be allowed to meet the ship at the next port of call if you miss the ship at the embarkation port.

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) with a valid driver’s license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.


United States citizens must have a valid passport for travel. All other guests must check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Certain foreign nationals will be required to obtain a Schengen Visa and/or Croatian Visa.